PART 1: JANUARY ASSESSMENT
At the end of 2011, I laid out the goals from my 30 Before 30 list that I want to accomplish this year. How’d I do? Well… I did aight. Some stuff is going splendidly; some stuff, I am sucking at. Here’s my assessment.
1. Learn German | So far, so good. My weekly lessons with my conversation partner are going full force, and all of my German friends and family say (unsolicited!) that they are impressed with how well I’m able to carry on a conversation. I need to really work on my grammar, but thus far I’m pretty pleased.
Watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s | Done, son.
12. Learn HTML | I signed up for Code Year, a free program that emails you a coding lesson every week. I haven’t been devoting a whole lot of time to it yet, but it’s been laying some good groundwork/basic knowledge for when I do.
Guten Tag! Mein Deutsch ist viel besser, Homie!
These are goals that I should have made more progress on. The fact that I haven’t is no one’s fault but mine.
10. Complete a manuscript | So, first some good news: I looked back at the work that’s already completed, and most of it doesn’t suck! It actually looks pretty good. However, I haven’t been devoting enough time to finish it. Which is unacceptable, because finishing a book is near the top of my list of things to do before I die. I have to be more disciplined.
11. Publish a short story | My plan for this was to submit a story at least once a week. How many have I submitted? ZERO. That’s a #fail, any way you look at it.
27. Start doing yoga | I have a DVD. I have not used the DVD, not even once.
This yoga lady is not impressed with me at all.
These are goals that I don’t necessarily plan to complete in the first quarter of 2012, so little to no progress is ok with me.
4. Take a train to Paris
5. Visit London
9. Visit Amsterdam
16. Learn how to play soccer
18. Learn to cook 5 new things (bleu cheese sliders, engagement chicken, mousse au chocolat, macaroni and cheese, wedding soup)
19. Learn how to roller-skate
20. Visit Brussels
22. Go to a professional soccer match
So that was my January. I’m gonna have to be a lot more disciplined if I want to make this year a success! How’d you do on YOUR goals? Leave a comment below, or tell me on Facebook or Twitter.